Benefits of Online Therapy: Is Online Therapy Right for you?
Traditional Therapy is the process of meeting with a mental health expert -a counselor or therapist, to address and treat your emotional and mental health concerns. Having a conversation with a professional can help you overcome obstacles in your life, gain awareness of the root cause of your problems to manage symptoms and heal.
Online therapy is nothing but a digitized version of traditional therapy. The presence of online therapy is becoming increasingly common through the years and that raises the question — is online therapy right for you?
What is online therapy?
Online therapy in the simplest sense of the word is the provision of mental health services and support through the internet. Generally these services are provided through live video chat, messaging apps, email, or over the phone.
This practice has grown rapidly popular since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing patients to connect with a qualified therapist from the safety and comfort of their own home.
With something as intimate and personal as mental health, some people might feel more comfortable talking about their feelings, personal issues, and goals over the internet rather than face to face. Patients can experience therapy from the comfort of their home and some online counselors are more likely to offer their therapy services outside of traditional business hours. The convenience and accessibility allows for more people to seek therapy and for therapists to expand their practice and offerings
Benefits of online therapy
There are numerous benefits to opting for online therapy, and the most common ones are;
- Since the location of your therapy session will be a virtual meeting, you wouldn’t need to travel to a physical location.
- You can schedule your sessions with flexibility, to fit into your daily routine uncomplicatedly.
- You will have the ability to receive therapy from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection.
Increased access to therapists and treatment options
- You will be able to find a therapist who specializes in specific issues or utilizes specific treatment modalities which suit your needs best.
- If you are in a location where in-person options for therapy are limited, you can access the therapy online.
Anonymity and privacy
- You will have the ability to maintain privacy and anonymity during sessions.
- You can opt to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous.
- A trusted, professional online therapist will maintain client privacy.
- Since the therapy sessions are online, they can cost less than in-person therapy.
Comfortable and familiar environment
- You will have the ability to receive therapy in a comfortable and familiar setting, like your home.
- You can choose to use video or audio-only sessions.
Read Also: Manage Hypertension With Mindfulness
The key to any type of therapy—online or in-person, is to find the correct therapist for you. Their qualifications, experience, and philosophy are important factors to consider, but it is also the relationship you develop with the therapist that is important because it will often define the success of your therapy.
You don’t have to be dealing with a diagnosed mental health issue such as depression or anxiety to benefit from therapy. Even if you’re facing everyday concerns like overwhelming stress, low self-esteem, or trouble sleeping, the right therapist can provide expert support and guidance and help induce positive changes in you.
Finding the right online therapist can take some time and effort, so don’t be afraid to ask questions and read reviews. An online therapist will help you heal, recover, and grow so it’s important to choose someone who makes you feel understood, supported, and cared about. You should be able to trust this person enough to talk comfortably about personal and often difficult subjects —to be honest about what you’re thinking and feeling.
About the author
Browse through our Online therapy & Counseling page.
Understand the Inner Space approach to therapy and get to know our team of professional therapists & counselors.
Start your journey of mental well-being now.