Counseling for Children and Adolescents
Child and Adolescent Counseling aims at providing your young ones with an environment where they can explore their difficulties through age appropriate and holistic approaches.
A Mindfulness &
By Sadia Saeed
This book is written with an intention to help children & adolescents adopt perspective and practices to live life joyfully, to initiate valuable learnings from Indian wisdom traditions early in life and to avoid learning unhealthy patterns that will lead to mental health difficulties later.
What Is The Focus of child and adolescent counseling ?
1. Enabling Self Expression :
- The objective here is to help children and adolescents fully express their needs, worries and anxieties.
- Puppets, games, colors, make-believe play and story-telling sessions help us build rapport and understand the inner world of children and teens.
- This helps us understand important aspects about children and teens such as self-esteem, how loved they feels and how they relate to people around.
2. Understanding Roots of Behaviour:
- On the basis of the above, we identify the roots of the problem behaviours. In most cases, the roots lie in unfulfilled emotional needs.
- This manifests in behaviors ranging from aggression to social isolation and depression, as children and teens do not often have enough resources at their disposal to understand how to deal with negative emotions.
- The family environment and parent-child relationships are also often conflicted, leading to further emotional pile up in the child.
- Recognizing these underlying needs is a core step of child and adolescent counselling and helps a great deal in remedying behavioral difficulties.
3. Modifying Behaviour:
- In this phase of therapy, we help children and adolescents satisfy their needs in productive ways. Enhancing self-esteem is almost always a core aim here, along with instilling feelings of emotional security.
- We also work on their social skills in order to help them deal better with their environment.
- Often, changes are required in the home environment as well, so as to help the child. Thus, we have periodic sessions with the parents to help them gain more perspective about their child and understand their role in determining their child’s behavior.